Herbert George Ibberson
Herbert G. Ibberson was born on 23 February 1866 in Hunstanton, King’s Lynn, Norfolk.
He was educated at the Nonconformist Grammar School, now Bishop’s Stortford College.
He received his architectural education in the Royal Academy Schools under Richard Norman Shaw (1831-1912) and he also studied in the offices of John Belcher (1841-1913) and John Dando Sedding (1838-1891), of London. He had travelled extensively on the Continent for the purpose of study.
In 1892 he started to practice independently.
He was married in 1893 to Kate Mary, eldest daughter of Francis Hewitt, of Leicester and had one daughter, Katharine Mary born in 1906.
He was elected an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1889 and a Fellow in 1900.
Henry George Malcolm Laing (1874-1948) was his assistant from 1896-1910.
He died on 16 June 1935. He succeeded to practice of H.G. Ibberson.
Ibberson was the key architect of the 'Hunstanton School'.
Some of his works that we were able to locate
Bishop’s Stortford College
Bishop’s Stortford College, 1895. School building, classrooms, gymnasium, indoor heated swimming pool (the first in the country), music rooms, boarding houses etc.
Baptist Church, Hillside Road, Chorleywood, 1905. Hall added in 1934.
Elmers End Free Church
Elmers End Free Church. Goddard Road, Beckenham, 1931.